Join us in Abisko for a once in a lifetime opportunity to see and photograph the majestic aurora borealis!
Professional aurora borealis photographer Chad Blakley, whose photographs have been seen around the world in places like National Geographic, ABC News, Fox News, Space.com, MSNBC.com and Spaceweather.com will use his years of experience to give you the greatest possible chance of witnessing the aurora, and he will teach you the skills you will need to photograph this wonder of nature.
If you are interested in increasing your skills as a photographer and learning the fine details of astronomy and low-light photography then this is the photo course for you! Our group will have access to a private conference room and Chad will offer daily image reviews and feedback sessions that focus on composure, proper infinity focus, exposure time, white balance settings and all of the other fine details that are required to capture stunning images of the stars, planets, Milky Way and most importantly the aurora borealis. This trip has always been Lights Over Lapland’s flagship product and offers more one on one time with Chad than any of our other trips.
You will have the opportunity to experience 5 days and 4 nights of exciting adventure well above the Arctic Circle. Thanks to a very dry and clear climate you will have nearly an 80% chance of witnessing and photographing the aurora during your stay in Abisko. By day you can spend time on your own enjoying the wilderness of Abisko National Park, or join a guided tour with one of our professional partners. By night Chad will help you locate and photograph the aurora in and around Abisko National Park.
We are proud to announce that we have enjoyed a 100% aurora viewing success rate on every one of our Aurora Photo Expeditions! While we can not guarantee that you will see the lights during your trip we can say that you have a very high likelihood of success. Abisko National Park also offers some of the finest stargazing and astrophotography in the world.
Price: 17,000 SEK/person
This all inclusive package includes:
- Four nights in a private room with a private bathroom at Hotel STF Abisko, beautifully located in Abisko National Park, Sweden see map. The hotel has many cosy public areas where you can find your own spot to admire the awe-inspiring views or keep in touch with the outside world using the free Wi-Fi service provided.
- Organic breakfast buffet with a wide variety of tasty breakfast foods.
- Traditional Swedish lunch buffet or lunch boxes to go for your outdoor activities in Abisko National Park. Delicious vegetarian, vegan and gluten free meals available upon request.
- Gourmet three course dinners with local delicacies such as reindeer, moose and Arctic char. Delicious vegetarian, vegan and gluten free meals available upon request.
- Access to an authentic Scandinavian sauna.
- In depth, daily theoretical photography instruction and feedback.
- Exclusive dinner at the Aurora Sky Station.
- Dogsledding adventure in the frozen wilderness of Abisko National Park.
Warm clothing, boots and camera equipment are available for rent.
750 SEK – Extra #2
All of our Expeditions are now fully booked for this season.
Do you want to be one of the first to receive information about our Aurora Photo Expeditions of next season 2014-15?
Fill out this form and we will contact you as soon as we have more information!
Lights Over Lapland’s tours are designed in a way that will accommodate as many different levels of physical fitness as possible. We usually walk less than one kilometer per direction to and from our many locations in Abisko National Park. Is is common to walk in deep snow and in cold conditions during our tours. If you have any physical limitations that may cause you to be unable to walk a total of two kilometers please inform us when you make a booking so we can discuss your needs ahead of time.
What sort of camera equipment should I bring?
• Digital SLR. Pocket cameras, even high end models will not provide high quality results. (available for rental upon request)
• Fast wide angle lens. A minimum aperture of f3.5 will work but f2.8 or faster is recommended. An 18mm lens is a good minimum starting point.
• Stable tripod. Inexpensive low quality tripods will fail under the extremely cold conditions present above the Arctic Circle. (available for rental upon request)
• Flash. For your self portrait with the Aurora in the background!
• Off camera release. Wireless remote control devices are recommended. Cable releases become hard and brittle in the extremely cold conditions present above the Arctic Circle.
• Extra batteries for ALL equipment. Expect your batteries to function approximately one third as long as they would under normal conditions.
• Battery chargers. For camera and flash batteries.
• Memory cards. 16GB minimum recommended amount.
• Headlamp. A headlamp with the option of a red beam is mandatory to ensure that the group is able to maintain their night vision while adjusting equipment.
• Laptop. To review your work and download information from your memory cards.
What sort of clothing should I bring?
You should be prepared for temperatures as low as -35 degrees Celsius!
With the exception of our visit to the Aurora Sky Station you are responsible for providing all winter clothing. However, one piece arctic snow suites are available for rental upon request. For safety reasons, and to ensure that you get the most out of your expedition it is very important that you bring the following items:
• Winter Jacket. A heavy down jacket with a hood is highly recommended.
• Snow pants. Water resistant or water proof.
• Warm hat. A warm hat that will cover as much of your head and face as possible.
• Gloves. One heavy pair of outer gloves and a smaller pair of liner gloves to keep on while adjusting your camera equipment.
• Warm Socks. It is recommended that you wear one pair of heavy wool socks with a thinner pair of wool socks underneath. Battery powered electric socks are not recommended as the batteries will fail in the extremely cold conditions present above the arctic circle.
• One piece arctic snow suit available for rental upon request.