4-night Christmas & New Year in Lapland
Lapland is the proverbial home of Santa Claus and his team of reindeer – what could possibly be a more fitting destination for your Christmas holiday this winter? During this once in a life time adventure you will spend your nights watching the northern lights dance overhead and your days will be filled with exciting adventures that can only be found in Lapland.
This all inclusive trip is among the highest ranked aurora photo adventures on Earth and will give you an opportunity to enjoy a delicious Scandinavian holiday foods with endless amounts of local traditional delicacies.
- Lights Over Lapland is proud to announce that 100% of our guests have seen auroras during our Christmas in Lapland packages!
You will have the opportunity to experience 5 days and 4 nights of exciting adventure well above the Arctic Circle. Thanks to a very dry and clear climate you will have a minimum of an 80% chance of witnessing and photographing the aurora during your stay in Abisko.
While we can not guarantee that you will see the lights during your trip we can say that you have a very high likelihood of success. Due to our location in a micro climate and resulting rain shadow, Abisko National Park is one of the finest locations for stargazing and astrophotography in the world.
December 2019 - January 2020
Abisko National Park, Sweden
Hotel STF Abisko / Abisko Mountain Lodge
Price Convert price
Included in package
- Four nights in a private, newly renovated room with a private bathroom at Hotel STF Abisko or Abisko Mountain Lodge, both beautifully located in Abisko, Sweden.
- Four exciting aurora adventures lead by one of Lights Over Lapland’s Sr. guides. We will go to a different location every night depending upon current weather conditions.
- A morning hike in the frozen wilderness of Abisko National Park.
- A day trip to the world famous Icehotel.
- High quality camera, tripod, backpack and batteries for the duration of your stay.
- Warm Arctic overalls to be worn over your clothes.
- Access to an authentic Scandinavian sauna.
- Organic breakfast buffet with a wide variety of tasty breakfast foods.
- Traditional Swedish lunch buffet or packable lunch boxes for your outdoor activities in Abisko National Park.
- Gourmet three course dinners created with local delicacies such as reindeer, moose and Arctic Char.
- A traditional Swedish Christmas/New Year’s dinner on the 24th/31st of December.
- Delicious vegetarian, vegan and gluten free meals available upon request.
- Guiding services provided by one of Lights Over Lapland’s professional aurora photography guides.
What you'll do
Lead by one of Lights Over Lapland’s Sr. guides.
We will go to a different location every night
depending upon current weather conditions.
We will chose between the following locations:
The Sami village includes several photogenic structures including authentic Lavvus, earthen homes and timber frame houses.
You will get to enjoy a snowmobile sled ride to reach these locations which is sure to add lots of excitement to your adventure!
Lights Over Lapland has two teepees located within the boundaries of Abisko National Park – both offer stunning views to the north.
This exciting excursion will give you the opportunity to experience the beauty of Lapland from as many different vantage points as possible.
An old boathouse on the shore of Lake Torneträsk that has been photographed by Lights Over Lapland for over a decade!
Where you'll stay
While the northern lights are what draw most people to Abisko, we offer several exciting daytime activities so that you can create new memories both day and night during your visit. Two exciting day trips are already included in the package price but one extra activity can be added to your package for an additional fee.
1 Day one
After arriving in Abisko your first activity of the day will be a gourmet meal filled with tasty, local flavours from the north while receiving an overview of what to expect during the rest of your adventure from your expert guide.
After dinner we will outfit you with all of the gear needed for your exciting adventure including warm clothing and camera gear, which will be yours to keep for the rest of your visit. After being kitted out like a true Arctic explorer we will take you to one of our incredible locations in or around Abisko National Park for your first evening of aurora hunting. After an exciting night under an Arctic sky we will take you back to your hotel where you are sure to dream of the northern lights.
2 Day two
This morning you will wake up to the smell of freshly baked sourdough bread and enjoy your first Scandinavian breakfast which has been carefully prepared by the world class chefs at your hotel.
Todays included adventure is a guided tour to the world famous Icehotel. Enjoy a scenic drive through an Arctic birch forest where you will have an opportunity to see reindeer, moose, hawk owls and a full catalogue of other exciting wildlife. Upon arrival at the Icehotel you will have the opportunity to join a guided tour which is provided by one of the professional staff members at the Icehotel.
Alternatively, you can choose to do a self guided tour if you would prefer a bit more privacy within the icy walls of this magnificent attraction. While you are there, be sure to visit the Icebar and experience one of the coolest drinks on Earth! Your professional driver will then take you back to your hotel in Abisko to prepare for tonight’s adventure. After you return from the Icehotel you can enjoy a few hours of downtime in the hotel relaxing by the fire or enjoying a Swedish sauna before dinner! You will enjoy your second delicious meal in the hotel restaurant followed by another opportunity to see the northern lights.
Tonight’s adventure is a bit further afield and includes an additional guide who will take you deep into the wilderness in the comfort of a sleigh which is pulled by a snowmobile. After travelling through an Arctic birch forest for several kilometers you will arrive at one of our exclusive wilderness camps where you will spend the evening searching for the northern lights.
3 Day three
By now you will know what to expect at breakfast and will have chosen your favorite combination of local jams, hand made mueslis and beautifully prepared fresh vegetables to complete the perfect Scandinavian breakfast!
Today you have a couple of options. If you would like to enjoy a day of leisure, you can choose to enjoy a calm day at the lodge or go on a self guided walk in the beautiful natural surroundings that Abisko has to offer. If you would like to do something a bit more exciting you can upgrade your package by adding one of our favorite daytime adventures; Landscape Photography Course, The Sami & Reindeer Experience, snowmobiling trips and lots of other great options.
Tonight you will enjoy your third aurora adventure! By this point of your trip it is very likely that you will have already seen the northern lights and you will be a professional aurora hunter. We will take you to yet another beautiful location where your guide will tell you more interesting facts about the northern lights, build a warm crackling fire and serve you a piping hot mug of lingonberry tea under a sky filled with more stars than you ever thought possible.
4 Day four
After breakfast you will meet your guide in the lobby before heading out on a beautiful morning hike in Abisko National Park. Your guide will check the local weather forecast and choose from a variety of short walks in the National Park.
For the next two hours you will have an opportunity to enjoy views such as soaring mountains, wide open vistas, frozen waterfalls, deep canyons and if you are very lucky you may even see some of Abisko’s amazing wildlife. The hike is relatively easy and guided at a pace appropriate for guests with nearly all physical abilities.
Tonight you will enjoy your final aurora chase of the trip. Your guide will take one last look at the aurora and weather forecast and choose the best location possible in order to maximise your chances and ensure that you go home with lots of new memories of the magical northern lights.
You will then enjoy yet another sleigh ride to one of our amazing wilderness camps with great views to the north!
The next morning you will enjoy one final breakfast before heading home.
- Please be aware that we may change the order of activities in your itinerary if we feel that doing so will increase your chances of seeing the northern lights.
- This 4 night package includes all food, lodging and multiple activities. Please choose your arrival date in the booking section below to proceed with a reservation.
- You are only required to pay a 20% deposit when you make the booking. We will send you a detailed itinerary of your trip together with your final invoice approximately 60 days before arrival.
- Minimum age: 16 years old. Please note that we cannot make exceptions to this policy.
- Our Christmas & New Year packages are strictly limited to 10 participants – maximizing your ability to spend as much one on one time with your guide as possible. We are confident that you will go home with lots of great pictures and memories of the Arctic that will last a lifetime!
- Our trips have a tendency to become fully booked well in advance so it is recommended that you confirm your booking as early as possible to guarantee your position on this once in a lifetime opportunity!
- Lights Over Lapland is proud of the fact that all of our trips are all inclusive and that we DO NOT require any sort of supplement for single travelers. When you book a trip with us you can rest assured that there will not be any additional fees upon arrival. Alcohol and soft drinks are not included.
- Our tours are designed in a way that will accommodate as many different levels of physical fitness as possible. We usually walk less than one kilometer per direction to and from our many locations in Abisko National Park. Is is common to walk in deep snow and in cold conditions during our tours. If you have any physical limitations that may cause you to be unable to walk a total of two kilometers at a steady pace in heavy winter clothing, please inform us when you make a booking so we can discuss your needs ahead of time.
While Lights Over Lapland’s adventures are a favorite among photographers, we are often asked about how our tours are experienced by guests with little or no interest in photography. The answer is simple; you do not need to be a photographer to have a the time of your life on one of our aurora adventures!
- We have had countless guests join us who had little or no interest in photography over the years and we are happy to say that they have all gone home very happy with our packages!
While all our adventures include camera gear, our trips are not specifically designed for photographers. We simply include cameras in our packages as we believe that the best souvenir from Abisko is a photograph of the aurora display that you witnessed during your time in the Arctic. Our guides will be happy to help you capture beautiful photographs and teach you the ins and outs of aurora photography but their main focus is to make sure that you see the lights and that you enjoy every moment of your time in Abisko.
If you would prefer to not use a camera during your visit just let us know and we will make sure that your guide takes lots of nice photographs of you with the lights so that you can go home with some great images of your Arctic Adventure! We are 100% confident that you will enjoy our trip even if you have no interest in photography so dont delay – book your Arctic Adventure with the top rated operator in Abisko National Park today!