The Ultimate Aurora Photo Adventure
The Ultimate Aurora Photo Adventure
Lights Over Lapland is proud to unveil a brand new adventure for 2021-22 in partnership with our long standing partners at Activities in Abisko: The Ultimate Aurora Photo Adventure
Our Ultimate Aurora Photo Adventure offers you THREE different ways to see the northern lights: depending upon the weather and aurora forecast we will hunt for the lights on foot at a nearby teepee, chase the lights in a modern 4×4 van, or ride on a cozy sleigh which is pulled behind a snowmobile to one of our wilderness camps in and around Abisko National Park.
This evening under the stars offers you a fantastic opportunity to learn about the culture & natural history of Lapland and gives you a chance to experience beauty that can only be found in Abisko National Park. During our time together we will discuss the way that locals interact with nature and explore the cultural interpretations of the northern lights that the local inhabitants of the region have believed during the last several centuries. Small groups of 8 guests guarantee a very personal and genuine experience and ensure a safe and comfortable trip into the Arctic environment.
Lights Over Lapland started offering our original Nightly Aurora Photo Tour way back in 2012. It was the first aurora photo tour in Abisko, and over the last ten years we have helped thousands of satisfied guests from all over the world see and photograph the northern lights in Abisko National Park. A few years later, we formed a partnership with our friends at Activities In Abisko and added our Wilderness Aurora Adventure which took our clients deeper into the Arctic Wilderness surrounding Abisko than any other operator in Abisko. During this time, we have constantly asked for feedback from our guests about what they are looking for in an aurora chase and have used the collective brain power of our guests and guides to create a brand new adventure, which we believe represents the absolute best way to see the northern lights in Abisko National Park. This new and exciting adventure takes all the best elements of our legacy Nightly Aurora Photo Tour & Wilderness Aurora Adventure, adds a chase to the package and combines all three methods of aurora hunting into one incredible adventure, which we believe truly is the ultimate aurora adventure available in Abisko.
While other operators may give you one method of chasing the lights on foot or in a minivan, Lights Over Lapland is proud to be the only outfitter to invest so much time and customer research into a brand new adventure that gives you not one, but THREE methods to see and photograph the northern lights and the absolute best chances of a successful aurora chase in Abisko National Park. We include warm clothing, camera gear, warm drinks and access to the most experienced team of aurora guides in Abisko National Park. We are proud of the fact that we are fully insured and have all the necessary permits to operate our tours in Abisko National Park, which many of our competitors have simply chosen not to do. We are also incredibly proud of the fact that all of our evening adventures have a maximum guest to guide ratio of 8:1. Keeping a strict limit of eight guests per guide ensures that you will always lots of access to your guide and that you will never be in a large group of strangers which is a common occurrence when joining chases provided by other operators. This makes the experience much more genuine, and helps us maintain proper social distancing at our locations. Since your adventure includes all transportation, there is not a set time that we have to return back to the hotel, which gives us more flexibility and the ability to stay out later than any other outfitter in Abisko. We are confident that our new adventure represents the absolute best single evening aurora tour in Abisko National Park, and we are confident that you will too!
- Our Ultimate Aurora Photo Adventures are strictly limited to 8 participants per guide – maximizing your ability to spend as much one on one time with your guide as possible. We are confident that you will go home with lots of great pictures and memories of the Arctic that will last a lifetime!
- If you are a keen photographer who is interested in learning as much about photographing the auroras as possible please inform your guide at the start of the tour so that they can custom tailor your lesson around your specific desires. This will ensure that you go home with lots of new skills that you can use in the future!
- It is important that you bring warm clothes to wear under the overalls we provide you and warm insulated winter boots. Heavy duty arctic boots are available to rent during our tours.
- We ask that you provide your own SD memory cards to be used in our cameras. We recommend a minimum of four gigabytes of storage space. Memory cards are also available for purchase if needed (16 GB: 200 SEK).
- Minimum age: 10 years old (children under 15 years old will need to share a camera with an adult).
- Lights Over Lapland’s tours are designed in a way that will accommodate as many different levels of physical fitness as possible. We usually walk less than one kilometer per direction to and from our many locations in Abisko National Park. It is common to walk in snow and in cold conditions during our tours. If you have any physical limitations please inform us when you make a booking so we can discuss your needs ahead of time.
- Rental of camera, tripod, backpack, warm overalls, and head lamp.
- Warm drink and small snack.
- Guiding services and a minimum of 3 hours of searching for and photographing the aurora in and around Abisko National Park.
- Pick up from any hotel in Abisko or Björkliden.
October 1st – November 18th: Activities in Abisko’s hut located by Abisko.net
November 19th – March 31st: STF Abisko Turiststation
PICK UP INFORMATION
Round trip transfer from all hotels in Abisko and Björkliden is included for no additional charge.
Pick up times
All hotels in Abisko: 7:30-7:45 PM (please be in the lobby of your hotel by 7:30 PM)
All hotels in Björkliden: 7:15 PM
If you are staying at the hotel where the tour starts from, please meet your guide in the lobby at 7:45 PM.
We have had countless guests join us who were not photographers over the years and we are happy to say that they have all gone home very happy! While our Ultimate Aurora Photo Adventure includes camera gear, this trip are not specifically designed for photographers – we simply include camera gear as we believe that the best souvenir of the northern lights is a photograph of the display that you witness during our trip. While our guides will be happy to help you capture beautiful photographs, their main focus is to make sure that you see the lights and that you enjoy every moment of your trip. We are confident that you will enjoy our trip even if you have no interest in photography!
Lights Over Lapland and Activities in Abisko have more than 15 locations to choose from including teepees, yurts, wilderness cabins and many more! Most of the other operators in the area have one or two locations and we are proud of the fact that we have access to more beautiful locations than all of our competitors combined!
Each night, before the start of your aurora adventure our team of professionals will analyze weather patterns and aurora activity and make a plan for the evening’s adventure based on real time information. If the weather in Abisko looks promising we will either walk to one of our teepees near the STF Abisko Turiststation or hop on a beautiful sleigh which is pulled behind a snowmobile by one of our professional wilderness guides. If the weather looks more promising further afield we will jump in one of our 4×4 vans and drive up to 100 KM towards Norway or Kiruna in order to find a clear sky.
Wilderness campsWilderness camps
The Sami CampThe Sami Camp
Aurora ChaseAurora Chase
Lights Over Lapland’s TeepeesLights Over Lapland’s Teepees
Lake TorneträskLake Torneträsk
The Shoreline Of Lake TorneträskThe Shoreline Of Lake Torneträsk
Abisko River DeltaAbisko River Delta
The BoathouseThe Boathouse