Nightly Aurora Photo Tours
Nightly Aurora Photo Tours
Don’t miss an opportunity to join the #1 rated nightly aurora activity in Abisko on TripAdvisor!
Even if you have never used a camera before you have an extremely high chance of going home with beautiful aurora photographs and memories of this natural phenomenon that will last a lifetime!
This evening under the stars offers you a fantastic opportunity to learn about the culture & natural history of Lapland and gives you a chance to experience beauty that can only be found in Abisko National Park.
During our time together we will discuss the way that locals interact with nature and explore the cultural interpretations of the northern lights that the local inhabitants of the region have believed during the last several centuries. Small groups guarantee a very personal and genuine experience and ensure a safe and comfortable trip into the Arctic environment.
- Our Nightly Aurora Photo Tours are strictly limited to 10 participants per guide – maximizing your ability to spend as much one on one time with your guide as possible. We are confident that you will go home with lots of great pictures and memories of the Arctic that will last a lifetime!
- If you are a keen photographer who is interested in learning as much about photographing the auroras as possible please inform your guide at the start of the tour so that they can custom tailor your lesson around your specific desires. This will ensure that you go home with lots of new skills that you can use in the future!
- It is important that you bring warm clothes to wear under the overalls we provide you and warm insulated winter boots. Heavy duty arctic boots are available to rent during our tours.
- We ask that you provide your own SD memory cards to be used in our cameras. We recommend a minimum of four gigabytes of storage space. Memory cards are also available for purchase if needed (16 GB: 200 SEK).
- Minimum age: 10 years old (children under 15 years old will need to share a camera with an adult).
- Lights Over Lapland’s tours are designed in a way that will accommodate as many different levels of physical fitness as possible. We usually walk less than one kilometer per direction to and from our many locations in Abisko National Park. It is common to walk in snow and in cold conditions during our tours. If you have any physical limitations please inform us when you make a booking so we can discuss your needs ahead of time.
- Is this trip fully booked on the night you want to visit us? Our Wilderness Aurora Photo Adventure (Dec-Mar) is often available when the Nightly Aurora Photo Tour is not. Take a look here
Camera, tripod, backpack, warm overalls, head lamp, warm drink, guiding services and approximately 3 hours of searching for and photographing the aurora in Abisko National Park.
STF Abisko Turiststation
PICK UP INFORMATION
Round trip transfer from all hotels in Abisko is now included for no additional charge! This represents a value of 195 SEK/person.
If you are staying in Björkliden, you can add a round trip transfer to your booking for an extra charge of 100 SEK/person. The standard cost for this transfer service is 295 SEK/person!
Pick up times
All hotels in Abisko: 7:30-7:50 PM (please be in the lobby of your hotel by 7:30 PM)
All hotels in Björkliden: 7:15 PM
If you are staying at the STF Abisko Turiststation, please meet your guide in the lobby at 7:45 PM.
- 7:45-8:00 PM. You will meet your guide where you will be given a high quality camera and we will spend a few minutes explaining how to use it. All of the camera’s settings will be taken care of in advance so that all you have to do is enjoy watching and photographing the aurora borealis. You will also be given a pair of warm overalls to help keep you safe and comfortable during your night in Abisko National Park.
- 8:30 – 11:00 PM. The adventure begins! Your guide will use their many years of experience to lead you into Abisko National Park where you will search for and photograph the magical aurora borealis. During this time we will discuss the history of Abisko National Park and give you a local’s insight into Lapland’s folklore. You will learn how the aurora fits into the local culture and your guide will share information that will help you understand the solar system and the countless stars and constellations above Abisko National Park. We will explain the science behind the aurora in layman’s terms so you can understand exactly what you are seeing when you watch the aurora borealis dance overhead. During your adventure we will also discuss the impact that strong solar storms and the auroras that they create may have on modern society in the years to come.
- 11:00 – 11:30 PM. Once you return to the hotel you will collect your memory card full of photographs of the evening’s adventure.
Lights Over Lapland’s Nightly Aurora Photo Tours are led by one of our professional photography guides. We will use our combined total of 30 aurora seasons of experience in Abisko to make educated decisions about the best possible location for the evenings activity. This approach has provided us with an incredibly high success rate and we are proud of the fact that Lights Over Lapland has shown more guests the beauty of the aurora borealis than any other outfitter on Earth.
If you join us for more than one night we will do everything we can to go to two different locations but we cannot make any promises as the guide will make the final decision the day of your tour based on aurora and weather conditions. If you want to be sure to visit several different locations we recommend that you book one of our Holiday Packages instead.
During the Autumn, we limit our group size to a maximum of eight people which means we can hop in a van and access several locations in and around Abisko National Park.
Depending upon the current weather and aurora forecasts we will visit one of our teepees or an earthen Sami hut near the STF Abisko Turiststation. On rare occasions we may visit the boathouse or go out on the frozen surface of Lake Torneträsk