Nightly Aurora Photo Tours
Even if you have never used a camera before you have an extremely high chance of going home with beautiful aurora photographs and memories of this natural phenomenon that will last a lifetime!
This evening under the stars offers you a fantastic opportunity to learn about the culture & natural history of Lapland and gives you chance to experience beauty that can only be found in Abisko National Park.
During our time together we will discuss the way that locals interact with nature and explore the cultural impacts that the northern lights have had on the local inhabitants of the region during the last several centuries. Small groups guarantee a very personal and genuine experience and ensure a safe and comfortable trip into the Arctic environment.
- Our Nightly Aurora Photo Tours are strictly limited to 10 participants per guide – maximizing your ability to spend as much one on one time with your guide as possible. We are confident that you will go home with lots of great pictures and memories of the Arctic that will last a lifetime!
- It is important that you bring warm clothes to wear under your overalls and warm insulated winter boots for your feet.
- We ask that you provide your own SD memory cards to be used in our cameras. We recommend a minimum of two to four gigabytes of storage space. Memory cards are also available for purchase if needed (16 GB: 200 SEK).
- Minimum age: 10 years old (children under 15 years old will need to share a camera with their parent).
- Lights Over Lapland’s tours are designed in a way that will accommodate as many different levels of physical fitness as possible. We usually walk less than one kilometer per direction to and from our many locations in Abisko National Park. It is common to walk in snow and in cold conditions during our tours. If you have any physical limitations please inform us when you make a booking so we can discuss your needs ahead of time.
- This trip is also available in the autumn months October – November. More info
- Is this trip fully booked on the night you want to visit us? Our Wilderness Aurora Photo Adventure is often available when the Nightly Aurora Photo Tour is not. Take a look here
Camera, tripod, backpack, warm overalls, head lamp, warm drink, guiding services and approximately 3 hours of searching for and photographing the aurora in Abisko National Park.
- 8:00 PM. You will meet your guide where you will be given a high quality camera and we will spend a few minutes explaining how to use it. All of the camera’s settings will be taken care of in advance so that all you have to do is enjoy watching and photographing the aurora borealis. You will also be given a pair of warm overalls to help keep you safe and comfortable during your night in Abisko National Park.
- 8:30 – 11:00 PM. The adventure begins! Your guide will use their many years of experience to lead you into Abisko National Park where you will search for and photograph the magical aurora borealis. During this time we will discuss the history of Abisko National Park and give you a local’s insight into Lapland’s folklore. You will learn how the aurora fits into the local culture and your guide will share information that will help you understand the solar system and the countless stars and constellations above Abisko National Park. We will explain the science behind the aurora in layman’s terms so you can understand exactly what you are seeing when you watch the aurora borealis dance overhead. During your adventure we will also discuss the impact that strong solar storms and the auroras that they create may have on modern society in the years to come.
- 11:00 – 11:30 PM. Once you return to the Mountain Station you will collect your memory card full of photographs of the evening’s adventure.
Trips are available from October until the end of March. During our Nightly Aurora Photo Tour we will visit one of our beautiful locations in Abisko National Park including the Lights Over Lapland teepee, Abisko’s world famous Sami camp, the frozen surface of Lake Torneträsk or the peaceful Abisko River Delta.