Anytime Aurora Adventures
Are you dreaming of the perfect Northern Lights Holiday in Abisko National Park? Would you prefer a custom tailored adventure that focuses on your particular interests and the specific dates you want to travel rather than a pre built package? Look no further – Lights Over Lapland’s Anytime Aurora Adventures are just what you are looking for!
Our all-inclusive, Anytime Aurora Adventures in Abisko National Park are designed by a team of professionals with two priorities: To help you see the northern lights and to build a trip that is designed around the dates that you can travel when one of our pre existing Northern lights holiday packages don’t work with your schedule.
- We can offer independent travelers an all-inclusive adventure ranging from a minimum of three nights in Abisko all the way up to any duration of time that you choose.
We have found that three days in Abisko gives you an excellent opportunity to see the northern lights but always recommend that you stay a minimum of four nights if possible as this virtually guarantees that you will see the northern lights while in our care.
November - March
Abisko National Park, Sweden
STF Abisko Turiststation / Abisko Mountain Lodge
Price Convert price
From 13350 SEK/person based on three nights in a twin room.
Included in package
- A minimum of three nights in a private, newly renovated room with a private bathroom at STF Abisko Turiststation or Abisko Mountain Lodge, both beautifully located in Abisko, Sweden.
- Exciting aurora adventures every night lead by one of Lights Over Lapland’s professional guides. We have more than 10 beautiful locations available which can be reached by foot, snowmobile or 4×4 vehicle. We will do our best to go to a different location every night depending upon the length of your stay and the current weather conditions.
- One daytime activity of your choice – View all of our activities!
Extra daytime activities can be added for an additional fee.
- High quality camera, tripod, backpack and batteries for the duration of your stay.
- Headlamp and warm Arctic overalls for the duration of your stay.
- Access to an authentic Scandinavian sauna.
- Organic breakfast buffet with a wide variety of tasty breakfast foods.
- Traditional Swedish lunch buffet or packable lunch boxes for your outdoor activities in Abisko National Park.
- Gourmet three course dinners created with local delicacies such as reindeer, moose and Arctic Char.
- Delicious vegetarian, vegan and gluten free meals available upon request.
What you'll do
We will take you on an exciting adventure every night.
Lights Over Lapland has access to more wilderness locations in the area than any other company in Abisko. Depending upon current weather conditions we will use our expertise to chose between the following locations:
The Sami village includes several photogenic structures including authentic Lavvus, earthen homes and timber frame houses.
This exciting excursion will give you the opportunity to experience the beauty of Lapland from as many different vantage points as possible.
Lights Over Lapland has two teepees located within the boundaries of Abisko National Park – both offer stunning views to the north.
The shoreline of Lake Torneträsk offers several incredibly scenic locations, all with open views to the north!
You will get to enjoy a snowmobile sled ride to reach these locations which is sure to add lots of excitement to your adventure!
Tornehamn is a beautiful, protected harbour on the shore of Lake Torneträsk with spectacular views in every direction!
The natural delta helps keep the water calm and clear allowing us to capture otherworldly images of the auroras dancing in the sky above, and on the mirror like surface of the delta.
The lake is the sixth largest body of water in Sweden and offers unrestricted views in every direction – including the north.
Where you'll stay
One activity of your choice is included in the package price and one extra daytime activity can be added to your package for each day that you are in Abisko, for an additional fee.
- This package includes all food, lodging and multiple activities. Please fill out our booking form below to receive a quote.
- You are only required to pay a 20% deposit when you make the booking. We will send you a detailed itinerary of your trip together with your final invoice approximately 45 days before arrival.
- Minimum age: 10 years old. (children under 15 years old will need to share a camera with an adult). Please note that we cannot make exceptions to this policy.
- All of our evening aurora tours are strictly limited to 8 participants – maximizing your ability to spend as much one on one time with your guide as possible. We are confident that you will go home with lots of great pictures and memories of the Arctic that will last a lifetime!
- Our packages, accommodation and activities have a tendency to become fully booked well in advance so it is recommended that you confirm your booking as early as possible to guarantee your position on this once in a lifetime opportunity! We require that you make your booking no later than 14 days before arrival.
- Our tours are designed in a way that will accommodate as many different levels of physical fitness as possible. We usually walk less than one kilometer per direction to and from our many locations in Abisko National Park. It is common to walk in snow and in cold conditions during our tours. If you have any physical limitations that may cause you to be unable to walk at a steady pace in heavy winter clothing, please inform us when you make a booking so we can discuss your needs ahead of time.
- If you are looking for a nice place to stay in Kiruna either before or after this package, we can highly recommend the Mattarahkka Lodge.
While Lights Over Lapland’s adventures are a favorite among photographers, we are often asked about how our tours are experienced by guests with little or no interest in photography. The answer is simple; you do not need to be a photographer to have a the time of your life on one of our aurora adventures!
- We have had countless guests join us who had little or no interest in photography over the years and we are happy to say that they have all gone home very happy with our packages!
While all our adventures include camera gear, our trips are not specifically designed for photographers. We simply include cameras in our packages as we believe that the best souvenir from Abisko is a photograph of the aurora display that you witnessed during your time in the Arctic. Our guides will be happy to help you capture beautiful photographs and teach you the ins and outs of aurora photography but their main focus is to make sure that you see the lights and that you enjoy every moment of your time in Abisko.
If you would prefer to not use a camera during your visit just let us know and we will make sure that your guide takes lots of nice photographs of you with the lights so that you can go home with some great images of your Arctic Adventure! We are 100% confident that you will enjoy our trip even if you have no interest in photography so dont delay – book your Arctic Adventure with the top rated operator in Abisko National Park today!
It is very common to work in an average temperature of -20 degrees Celsius and very possible to encounter temperatures as low as -35. Warm clothes are a must!
Warm arctic overalls are included in all of our multi-day packages and warm insulated boots are available for rental upon request. For safety reasons, and to ensure that you get the most out of your visit it is very important that you bring the following items:
- Winter Jacket. A heavy jacket with a hood is highly recommended so you have something warm to wear while traveling, before you receive our Arctic overalls.
- Snow pants. Water resistant or water proof (not necessary if you use our overalls).
- Warm hat. A warm hat that will cover as much of your head and face as possible.
- Gloves. One heavy pair of outer gloves and a smaller pair of liner gloves to keep on while adjusting your camera equipment.
- Wool Socks. It is recommended that you wear one pair during the day and a fresh pair during the evening so it is good to bring two pairs of socks for each day.
- Warm insulated winter boots (available for rental upon request). Sorel, Baffin and Muck are example of good brands.
- Multiple clothing layers for top and bottom. Synthetics, wool and fleece are recommended materials. Cotton is to be avoided. For bottom layers, we recommend wearing thermals + one layer of fleece/thick wool or down pants underneath our overalls.
- Goggles are not a must but if you have some at home we suggest you bring them along as they are nice to use in windy conditions. Clear goggles are the best as they can also be used at night.
- A 20% non refundable deposit is required at the time of booking. The remaining balance must be paid no later than 30 days prior to arrival.
If you cancel 29-15 days prior to arrival you will receive a 25% refund.
If you cancel 14-0 days prior to arrival we will not be able to offer any refunds.
If at any time an unforeseen event causes Lights Over Lapland to cancel the trip you will receive a 100% refund, including the booking deposit. Lights Over Lapland is not responsible for any travel expenses to or from Abisko National Park. We highly recommend you purchase travel insurance to protect yourself in case of travel delays, missed flights, illness etc.
If you must cancel your booking due to travel restrictions put in place by the Swedish government, your home country’s government or a country that you must transit through en route to Sweden we will allow you to use your 20% booking deposit towards another trip up to two years in the future without penalty, as late as 14 days prior to arrival, in addition to the partial refunds above. Read our full company policies.